On January 18th, 2013 (Austin) January 25th, 2013 (Houston), ten nonprofits will team up with ten filmmaking teams to make amazing cause-driven films over the course of a weekend.
For Austin Teams:
- The Austin contest will start with a kick-off happy hour for the filmmakers and nonprofits to meet on January 11th at 6:00pm at the Alamo Drafthouse Village in Austin.
- The contest will launch Friday, January 18th for Austin teams. The teams will have 48 hours to write, shoot and edit their films.
- Austin films are due Sunday, Jan 20th at high noon at the Alamo Drafthouse Village. Are you tired yet? Stick with us!
- For Austin, all ten films will be shown live before an audience that same Sunday, Jan 20th at 7:00pm at the Alamo Drafthouse Village.
For Houston Teams:
- The Houston contest will start with a kick-off happy hour for the filmmakers and nonprofits to meet and plan. This will take place on January 11th at 6:00 pm at Jackson’s Watering Hole.
- The contest will launch Friday, January 25th for the Houston teams. The teams will have 48 hours to write, shoot and edit their films.
- Houston Films are due Sunday, January 27th at high noon at the Alamo Drafthouse Mason Park.
- For Houston, all ten films will be shown live before an audience that same Sunday, January 27th at 7:00pm at the Alamo Drafthouse Mason Park.
And finally, three expert judges will determine the “jury prize” for the top film and the audience will determine our “audience choice” award in Austin and Houston.
In Person Audience Award: Three free admissions to any Lights. Camera. Help. ‘Focus on Good: Creating a Film for Your Cause online class + one Flip Video Camera and ten tickets to any Alamo Drafthouse film + two $50 Alamo Drafthouse gift certificates.
Jury Award: $250 cash to the nonprofit + $250 cash to the winning filmmakers
The winning film (picked by our jury) will also be screened at the 2013 Lights. Camera. Help. Nonprofit Film Festival in Austin, TX.
- The nonprofit and filmmaking teams agree to donate $50.00 each to Lights. Camera. Help. to RSVP their team.
- Both agree to attend our kick-off happy hour to meet the week before on January 5th (Austin) and January 11th (Houston) at The Alamo Drafthouse Village in Austin and the Alamo Drafthouse Mason Park in Houston.
- The nonprofit agrees to assign at least one staff member to work with the filmmaking team for the duration of the project.
- The nonprofit and filmmaking team agree to obtain any necessary photo or video releases from people appearing in the film.
- The nonprofit agrees to allow filmmakers access to staff, clients, and agency programs during the weekend.
- All films must be under five minutes in length.
- The nonprofit agrees to make reasonable effort to provide the filmmaking teams with everything they need including a dedicated staff contact throughout the weekend.
- The nonprofit will receive a copy of the completed film after Sunday.
- The filmmaker will agree to be paired up with a nonprofit of Lights. Camera. Help.’s and the Alamo Drafthouse’s choosing.
- The filmmaker will let the nonprofit use that footage as they feel appropriate in perpetuity.
- The nonprofit agrees to credit the filmmakers verbally or in the written word whenever and wherever they use the film.
- This contest is only eligible for nonprofits and filmmaking teams based in the state of Texas.
- Nonprofits must be a 501(c)3 registered organization with a valid EIN.